Monday, September 5, 2011

The Call

One week ago today I got "the call"...the call that forever changed our lives, the call for which we have been waiting for over 5 years, the call introducing us to our daughter.

The day started as every other Monday starts. I awoke at 6:30 a.m., checked my email and facebook, and at 7:00 a.m. I checked Rumor Queen (she seems to do her updates about that time every weekday). No rumors. The week before I did get an email from our agency indicating we should hear something by mid-week. Okay, so off to work I go.

Once I got to work, I would periodically check my email on my cell phone to see if anyone had heard anything. Nothing. Then, I get this notice from one of my friends who is also adopting and has the same LID as we do (Miss K) at 11:02 a.m. (I checked it at 11:04 a.m.). I immediately start panicking. I call my mom, don't think real words were even formed at that time. I read to her the email I got from Miss K, not even thinking to check my email. While on the phone with mom, I check Rumor Queen and nothing, no notice. So I check my email from our agency and it's true. The Stork had landed, we received our referral, and they were working to scan the pictures.

At that point I couldn't think, no way could I work. I tried to distract myself. I notified the girls at work that this was it, this was the day and they were to be on stand by. I knew my agency was gonna call me, but didn't know what time. I immediately had to go pee, but was afraid, what if they called me and I was in the bathroom peeing (yeah, that would be my luck). Time started dragging for more than one reason (I wanted to see her soooo bad and my bladder was sooo full).

I was then told by one of the girls at work (Miss A) that I was not to be left alone, no matter where I went I had to have someone around. It was hilarious. Miss H, Miss L, and Miss A were just as nervous as I was, and I love them for it.

I called Ray and told him today was the day and texted my brother and sister. It was just a matter of time.

Well, went to lunch (the cell phone was in my hand the whole time, making it hard to eat, but yeah I wasn't that hungry from being so nervous) and still nothing (and no I still hadn't peed at this point), got back from lunch and waited some more.

Then at 2:03 p.m., the call came. Luckily I was in Miss H and Miss A's office, which is where we planned on the delivery call to be (phew, one thing going as planned). I immediately had a calm come over me, but Miss A grabbed my cell phone from me, put it on speaker phone so I "didn't accidently hang up the phone" (which is what I thought may happen), and Beth told us her name, DOB, her province and her orphanage, and she sent us the email. Miss A opened the email and we all screamed in joy, so exciting. Our supervisor Miss T came running in and said "keep it down in here, it sounds like you are giving birth" (of course she knew we were getting the call, but that brought both laughter and embarrassment by me). So many emotions, such excitement.

I went back to my desk excited, scared, nervous, but most of all happy!! Oh yeah, and then after all those hours, I finally went pee.

I've finally "met" my little girl, the baby I've been waiting for all these years, my daughter born in my heart almost 6 years ago, and I've seen her. I called everyone and shared the news, forwarded the email, and rejoiced the rest of the day (and every day since).

Now we just sit back and wait (we are getting quite good at this) until they tell us we can come to China and get our sweet Chynna!! Just hold on a little longer sweet pea, we're coming for you (and that time can't get here quick enough). We love you!


Sherri said...

Dannye, I can't believe you didn't go and pee. If, you held it in that long, I would have let it out after that call for Did you?

I often myself wonder how our day will go down? I have it all planned

I so can't wait for you and Ray to get that TA!! I was so excited for the 3 of you, that I printed out those scrapbooking pages I made and showed them to about a dozen people at Church...the funny thing was, they all thought we got our baby, after seeing their mouths drop to the floor, I said no she's not ours...but it's our Fireflies group finally getting their referrals. One guy name Joe - after him looking at all 4 girls, he said so which one did you guys pick? It was the funniest thing ever...then he said you guys can get twins?...I said no Joe - she's or none of them are ours. I'm/ we're are starting to get really nervous.

Congrats again!

Kim :) said...

I LOVE IT!!! What a great memory of the day... do I need to pack Depends for the two of us?? :)

Angie said...

so happy to be able to share these moments with you!!!

Jennifer said...

Soooo happy for you and beautiful Chynna! Your labor of love is coming to fruition! We are so happy for you all!